Frequently Asked Questions
PRODUCT AND MANUFACTURING
All Leatherback Gear™ is designed and engineered within the United States of America and always will be! Our armor is manufactured in Southern California while our backpacks are manufactured by one of our select supply partners around the world. However, they are fully assembled here in Southern California to meet our rigorous standards for quality and performance.
Leatherback Gear will only utilize a bag production supply partner who meets or exceeds our standards for manufacturing. We have chosen to utilize supply partners outside of the U.S.A. solely for the backpacks and bags to be produced due to the extreme costs associated with producing to our standards here within the U.S.A. We are, however, constantly looking for a supply partner locally in the U.S.A. who could meet our needs and not have to pass those higher costs on to you as our customer. All armor however is made here in the U.S.A. and our complete personal protection system is assembled here in the U.S.A..
When selecting a manufacturing location, we ensure the facility meets all of Leatherback Gear's™ rigorous and uncompromising standards that allow us to achieve the highest possible level of quality. We consistently monitor production and regularly test components to ensure products made in the facility continue to earn the right to bear the Leatherback Gear icon. If it’s not good enough for our standards…we won’t risk your safety with it. That goes for each and every product we make, no matter where we make it.
BULLETPROOF (OR SOFT BODY) ARMOR
All soft body armor is manufactured in the U.S.A.
Body armor is legal in all 50 states for law-abiding citizens.
As a US citizen or resident of the US you have the right to protect yourself. You have the right to own a bulletproof vest. However, that right to own a bulletproof vest is automatically taken away if you commit a violent crime. The James Guelff and Chris McCurley Body Armor Act of 2002 stipulate that no person previously convicted of a violent crime may purchase, own or possess body armor. If you have been convicted of a violent felony, you cannot own a bulletproof vest of any kind.
There is no background check, waiting period, or federal registration required to buy body armor. No permits or paperwork required to legally purchase it and/or own as a civilian. You can order a bulletproof backpack-to-vest on LeatherbackGear.com, and have it delivered to your home or office without asking permission or reporting to anyone. You do not need to register it with authorities.
Possession of body armor is legal in all 50 states with ONLY the following restrictions:
- Body armor possession is illegal if you have been convicted of a violent felony. Also, wearing body armor while committing a crime will increase penalties greatly. Body armor was not designed for nor intended for criminals!
- You can purchase your bulletproof backpack-to-vest online and take delivery in 49 of the 50 states. Body armor may not be shipped to a civilian in Connecticut. Body armor purchases in Connecticut are not allowed by Connecticut state regulations to occur over the internet; they MUST be made only through an in-person store purchase. You can still own a bulletproof vest if you live in Connecticut, we just cannot ship vests to Connecticut.
Yes! Our customers have traveled with our backpack with soft body armor through various major domestic and international airport TSA security screening stations without incidence.
Yes! Body armor is approved by TSA for both carry-on bags or checked bags (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/body-armor).
The soft body armor panels in your Leatherback Gear™ bulletproof backpack are made of Polyethylene and are NIJ (National Institute of Justice) rated for a Level IIIA threat. This Level IIIA rating is the ballistic standard of resistance used in the United States and most of the world. Body armor becomes NIJ rated when it passes a strict set of guidelines at a NIJ certified 3rd party ballistic laboratory. To be rated level IIIA, armor must protect the wearer from handgun rounds up to a .44 magnum (bullet with a mass of 240 grains and a velocity of 1340 ft./s), including 9mm submachine gun rounds, and even 12 gauge shotgun slugs. Please note that we private label our armor panels so our name “Leatherback Gear™” is not listed through NIJ website as the certificates belong to our manufacturer.
All body armor has a limited lifespan due to the natural degradation of ballistic materials over time. Leatherback Gear™ body armor panels have a 5-year lifespan with a full manufacturer warranty, guaranteeing the body armor panels from a defect during the entire lifespan of every vest produced. It is advisable to replace your soft body armor panel within the 5-year period from the date of manufacture that can be found on the label of every soft body armor panel. Soft body armor panels should always be replaced in the event that the soft armor panel has been compromised in any way including having been subject to and having stopped any caliber of bullet that may have been fired at the soft body armor panel.
BASIC BACKPACK & BODY ARMOR SAFETY
- NEVER SHOOT YOUR BODY ARMOR UNLESS YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO WEAR IT AGAIN!
- NEVER TEST BODY ARMOR WHILE WEARING IT!
ORDERING BODY ARMOR ONLINE
Body armor is an unregulated product which does not require any special paperwork or background checks in order to purchase. Any company selling body armor can choose to restrict their sales to law enforcement or sell to the general public. Leatherback Gear™ believes everyone has the right to be protected. Body armor is simply a reactionary tool to a life-threatening situation. By itself, it can cause no harm. As a law-abiding citizen, you have an absolute right to purchase protection for you and your loved ones.
You can order body armor online through LeatherbackGear.com. We do our best to keep all items in stock and provide same day shipping on all orders before 5 pm (unless they are customized). You may also contact us by phone at 877-6-SAFETY to place an order.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY
If you have any questions regarding your shipping time, please email Leatherback Gear™ customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org include your order number, name and date ordered. We will update you with the shipping information as quickly as possible.
Leatherback Gear™ offers shipping within the United States, its territories, and a handful of select countries currently. To see which countries we ship to, please add a product to your shopping cart and select the country you reside in from the dropdown menu. If you are located outside of one of those countries, please email us at email@example.com with your request. We will do our best to accommodate shipping to your country.
Yes. Please order online normally and fill in your shipping address.
PRODUCT ORDERS & STATUS
If you have any issues or receive an error message online while ordering, please email our Customer Service Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. Please include your name, email and a good contact telephone number. We will be happy to call you and take your order over the phone.
From time to time, our products may sell out. We do our best to notify you with a message of the delay on the website and order receipt confirmation. However, if you have any questions about your order status, please email our Customer Service Team at email@example.com with your question(s).
No, we do not typically customize an order with logos or stitching. You, however, are free to customize your backpacks with logo patches, name patches, etc. However, if your group has a request for a custom color or additional component, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to make every attempt to work with your request. Just understand that the time to complete a customized request may take 1-3 months, so please be understanding on the turnaround time.
Yes. Leatherback Gear™ currently accepts PayPal as a payment option as well as all major credit cards including Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. If using an international Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express, please utilize the correct & corresponding billing address when checking out for your order otherwise the mismatch billing information will result in an unsuccessful purchase as we make every attempt to prevent credit card fraud.
Yes! Simply log into your account through www.LeatherbackGear.com or send us an email at email@example.com and include your order number and name in the order.
PRODUCT CARE & MAINTENANCE
IMPORTANT: Do not machine wash or dry clean the soft body armor panel insert(s).
- Remove body armor panels from inside the backpack.
- Gently wipe body armor panels using mild soap and water. Set aside to dry.
- Close all Velcro fasteners on the backpack body armor pockets.
- Dry clean, hand wash, or machine wash the backpack (without body armor) on a delicate cycle using a medium water temperature.
- DO NOT BLEACH!
- Air dry the backpack
- Reinsert body armor panels with the “Strike Face” facing outward of each armor panel pocket;
- BE SURE THE SOFT BODY ARMOR PANELS AND BACKPACK ARE DRIED COMPLETELY prior to re-inserting.
If for some reason your backpack is submerged in water, please follow these instructions:
- Remove body armor panels from inside the backpack.
- Air dry the backpack.
- Set aside and air dry the body armor.
- Once dry, reinsert the body armor panels with the “Strike Face” facing outward of each armor panel pocket.
- BE SURE THE SOFT BODY ARMOR PANELS AND BACKPACK ARE DRIED COMPLETELY prior to re-inserting.
Treat your backpack like any other backpack you own! The body armor is well hidden and secured inside the body armor pockets. You should store your backpack and body armor in a room temperature environment away from prolonged direct sunlight, liquids, and chemicals.
PRODUCT WARRANTY & GUARANTEES
Leatherback Gear™ provides a 1-year warranty against defects in material and workmanship on all of its backpacks, and a 5-year manufacturer warranty on all soft armor panels from date of purchase.
If you believe you have a warranty claim or need to return a product, please see the Return Policy & Shipping Instruction page for further information.
Please note that:
- The Warranty is only valid with proof of purchase from an authorize Leatherback Gear™ dealer.
- The Leatherback Gear™ warranty program will be voided by any alteration to any product from its original condition.
- The Leatherback Gear™ warranty program does not cover any defects due to accidents, improper care, negligence, normal wear and tear, the natural breakdown of colors and materials over extended time and use, rips, tears, holes, burns, pilling, and shrinking.
If you are dissatisfied with your Leatherback Gear™ backpack/body armor, send it back to us in its original condition and packaging and we will issue a refund for the entire cost of your product within 30 days of shipping. Please see the Return Policy & Shipping Instruction page for further information.
Should your Leatherback Gear™ backpack/body armor ever be used to save your life, we promise to replace your backpack and armor at no cost. Simply send us your backpack with the body armor, accompanied by an official incident or police report. Please see the Return Policy & Shipping Instruction page for further information.
PRODUCT RETURN POLICY & SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS
Leatherback Gear™ stands behind the quality of our products and offers a simple return process. If for any reason, you are not satisfied with a Leatherback Gear™ product we will refund or exchange new and unused merchandise purchased directly from LeatherbackGear.com within 30 days of purchase. Please see the Return Policy & Shipping Instructions on the website for additional information. Please note that exchanges, returns and/or refunds will only apply to purchases made directly through LeatherbackGear.com with a corresponding order number. All refunds will be charged to the original form of payment provided or as online credit. In the case of any return or exchange, the customer will be responsible for all shipping fees that are incurred during the process; those customers located outside of the U.S. will also be subject to all shipping charges, duties, and/or taxes per their country’s import policies. For your own benefit, please be sure to retain tracking information and appropriate insurance coverage when shipping items back to Leatherback Gear™. Your refund will be authorized upon receipt and inspection of your returned item. Leatherback Gear™ reserves the right to deny a refund based on the damaged or excessive worn state of the product upon return. All returned products will be inspected and can take up to 5 days once received by our shipping warehouse to be eligible for a refund.
Please note that price adjustments on previously purchased merchandise are not offered. Leatherback Gear™ reserves the right to modify its return and exchange policy at any time.
- This return process only applies to purchases made on our website. If your product was not purchased on our website, please refer to the original retailer.
- Proof of purchase is needed for a return.
- The product should be returned with the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation, and registration that were included with the product.
- Any customized product that may have been was created especially for you, so we cannot take returns on those items.
Please follow our product return procedure, including shipping instructions, below.
- Leatherback Gear, LLC will exchange or refund new and unused merchandise purchased through the www.leatherbackgear.com website within 30 days of purchase.
- Please note that returns and refunds will only apply to purchases made directly through the www.leatherbackgear.com official website with the use of a Leatherback Gear™ issued order number.
- In the case of any return for exchange or refund, the customer will be responsible for all shipping fees and charges incurred during the process; those customers located outside of the U.S. will also be subject to all shipping charges, duties, and taxes per their countries import policies.
- For your own benefit, please be sure to retain tracking information and appropriate insurance coverage when shipping items back to Leatherback Gear™.
- Please return all products in their original packaging including the Leatherback Gear™ logo polybag and box.
- Please include the original “Packing Slip” that contains the Order #, your name, and ship-to address, that was included with your delivery, for the products you are returning.
- Please include a copy of your original “Order Confirmation” email notification that contains the Order # and Product Description.
- All refunds will be credited back to the original form of payment or online credit.
- Your refund will be authorized and processed upon receipt of the items being returned.
- Leatherback Gear™ reserves the right to deny a refund based on the damaged or worn state of the product upon return. All refunds will be inspected and can take up to 5 days once received by our shipping warehouse to be eligible for a refund.
- Please return all purchases to our shipping and fulfillment department at the following address:
Leatherback Gear, LLC
c/o FCX Production
5445 Oceanus Drive, Ste. 108
Huntington Beach, CA 92649
All backpack and body armor products we sell. To register visit: click here. When registering online please provide your name, order number, product(s) purchased, shipping address, billing address, date of purchase and email address used to order.
All Leatherback Gear™ products require a valid proof of purchase in order to make a valid warranty claim or complete the product registration process.
Nothing! A confirmation email will be sent to you shortly to confirm the receipt of your product registration.
Leatherback Gear's™ corporate headquarters is located in Costa Mesa, California. For a specific point of contact within a state or country, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to connect you.